Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Module 5: Gender Remix and Bigger Fish to Fry

The Gender Remix project reminded me of a story that is told in sensitivity training concerning gender terminology and gender roles. A story of Baby X describes how parents of this child leave out gender biases in order for the baby to develop its own sense of identity without being concerned with what is "normal." As an adult, I now look back at how teachers in my elementary school treated my class in terms of gender roles. Though I don't remember much, I remember being taught that tolerance of everyone, regardless of gender, was our main goal.

Unfortunately, recently I was told by a mother that she was afraid to allow her 4 year old son to dress as Elsa from Frozen for Halloween. When I politely asked why, she replied, "Well, you know. He can't go out in a girl costume for Halloween, people will see him." I think the fact that most of us are told how to act our gender from almost literally day one effects how we push these same pressures onto future generations. Why should we worry about happy, healthy children playing with the "wrong" toys? I personally think that as long as those children are happy and healthy, let them live.

Additionally, I found this data on traditional gender roles and professions, and I was surprised at what I saw. This was published in April of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment